kirbs

Thursday, May 06, 2004

Markers on the Way

I spent a day with Roy who runs our youth and community charity Hope House yesterday. We talked a lot about evangelism and discipleship. The thing I've been wondering is how do you mark the journey. Through NT Wright, Todd Hunter & Brian Mclaren, I think I've begun to get a better understanding of discipleship and bringing in the Kingdom. I can see that modernity was all about bounded sets and too much of the time we worried about who was "sound, saved and in" and who was out. Now I feel much more comfortable about my role being to encourage people to follow Jesus and to be intentional in ensuring that they're moving towards him, however I find myself asking what are the markers on the way? Have we in our desire to be relevant and accessible, devalued the cost of discipleship? Are we seeing those with no knowledge of Jesus coming to a place of loving Him and wanting to give everything for Him or are we just massaging the church weary?

I'm not sure my questions make sense, it's quite late and I'm tired, and I'm pretty sure there are no easy answers, but the questions won't go away.

It was really fascinating to read at Erics about Todd Hunters new job, check out the linked article, there's still a world to win.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home