kirbs

Sunday, November 21, 2004

The Kingdom is coming...

Today is the celebration of Christ the King, if you're an Anglican and attend a church who follow the lectionary the readings will probably have been Colossians 1v11-20 and Luke 23v33-43. We're about to head into the Kingdom season otherwise known as advent, prearing for the coming of the King.

How do I know all of this, well this morning was my turn to do the 8am communion. Please don't let my colleagues know this but I actually enjoy the 8am communion (don't get me wrong getting up for it on a Sunday after a good party on a Saturday night is always a struggle - a few hours earlier I was singing Karaoke (after much duress)), but once I'm there knowing that there are people all over the world sharing in the same service is quite encouraging. It's a great way to start a sunday, it keeps me in touch with the historic seasons of the church, and this morning it allowed me to reflect on Christ my king. On his majesty in creation, in life and in death.

This week I've spent quite a lot of time thinking about how we point people to Christ the King in 21st century North London, and specifically the "church plant". Things are beginning to gather pace. We've got a small group of people who want to build a community with us, we're starting to look at an area of North London that we think God might be calling us to, and now comes the "what will it look like questions". In some ways I've no idea and don't want to have an idea, 'cos I want it to form out of relationships and the mission of God in the community He calls us to. However to get the support of the Bishop and possibly some money, it's going to need some explanation and some structures. Hence thinking through Network Church and the Mission-Shaped Church report. (This apparently is being described as Church House Publishing's equivalent of Harry Potter).

It's great to know there are others who are looking to build the body of Christ and not throw out all of the riches of tradition. (As someone once said "Tradition is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the living"). I love the people who are looking to build something rather than tell everyone what's wrong with what they're doing. I've enjoyed reading Matt's manifesto for corporate worship, and last weekend spent some time with a group looking at issues of practical discipleship and holiness today.

I'm excited because Christ the King is alive and active in His world and I'm looking forward to enjoying the Kingdom season...

1 Comments:

  • Sounds great mate. Will be praying for you!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home