kirbs

Thursday, November 25, 2004

Is there anyone out there?

I forget sometimes that people do stumble across my blog accidentally or occasionally even deliberately. I must remember that it's not just personal ramblings (thanks Roy for reminding me that I've got to be careful what I say). Now all of my colleagues know that I secretly enjoy the 8am Communion service and copies of my last post have been plastered over my office door and various walls!

Kevin Rains who introduced me to the previously unknown blog world, warned me that it was addictive, and while I find writing my own blog non addictive and light weight, I do enjoy (sometimes) the discussions and debates that abound. The "emerging church" seems to be as broad in it's membership as the Anglican church which I'm also part of. Some days I read things and think, I wish I could've written that myself; other days I read stuff and think I'm never coming near the blog world again 'cos it's full of pseudo intellectualism, pseudo theology and pseudo spirituality.

The reason I'm sitting in quite a cold church office in North London, avoiding preparing some teaching stuff and several phone calls, is because at Easter in 1987 I fell in love with Jesus. He radically transformed my life and gave me hope, purpose and a sense of destiny which I'd never had before. I couldn't believe that the church had hidden Him so well from me for 19 years and I desparately wanted to share with other people and particularly young people (cos I was young at the time) my discovery.

In all of the discussions about the emerging church I increasingly realise that I want it to be more about Jesus. I know that's incredibly simplistic and the Sunday school answer - but humour me. Less about consturction and deconstruction and more about my Lord who changed my life. The problem is there is so much that gets in the way.

What do I want? I want to rediscover daily Jesus, I want my life to look more like His, I want to talk about Him more and church less. I want people to ask me the reason for the hope that I have.

When was the last time someone asked you the 1 Peter 3v15 question? What's going to cause them to ask that question? When you've worked that out will you let me know?

5 Comments:

  • Amen brother ! I am tiring of talk, and increasingly just want to see the King usher in more of His kingdom. Whilst I want our missiology to influence our ecclesiology, I want my theology to influence my missiology. My theology, like yours in simple - God is with us, so come join the family.

    Rich
    http://richjohnson.blogspot.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:41 AM  

  • It's a big AMEN from the Bishop of Bristol

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:33 AM  

  • write on!

    By Blogger Small Group, at 12:07 AM  

  • nice one kirbs... miss you

    By Blogger eric keck, at 2:28 PM  

  • Si - Calum Here - I agree with your comments. I think we are moving beyond the point where we need to talk about the 'isms' (although theology and understanding are important) and need to move towards being confident about living a relevant, contemporary life with integrity. PS. Adding your blog to my favourites has revolutionised keeping in touch. Lets talk soon.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home